Thursday, July 20, 2006

Boob Job

I just had a mammogram--the second of my life. I understand that the procedure is necessary, an important screening tool for a deadly disease, but good god, it's weird! There's something about having your breast tissue pulled away from the wall of your chest and squeezed between slabs of plastic that just somehow makes them not breasts anymore: while you're standing there holding your breath so the technician can x-ray those things on your chest, those things on your chest are well and truly boobs.

5 Comments:

Blogger SlayGirl said...

I forget which comedian commented on this but she said that if men had to get that procedure done on their testicales there would be immediate break throughs developed to scan them a different way.

7:42 PM  
Blogger spike said...

My mom has reported a similar reaction to mammograms. She told me that once she asked the technician if she would mind if my mom just sat in the waiting room until she was done.

12:47 AM  
Blogger bluestocking said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds this weird. And I'm also skeptical about the wisdom of shooting radiation into a body party particularly susceptible to cancer: as you suggest, Slaygirl, shouldn't they find some more benign way to scan these boobs of ours?

3:25 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Gawd. I'm so not looking forward to having this done. I hope and pray they come up with a better way before then, but I somehow doubt it. Like carm says "if it were men, they would have had a breakthrough by now".

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

A reason why I don't want to be 40. A bra is enough squezing for me.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home