Monday, July 17, 2006

Hippy Hippy Shake

I used to know this guy who injured himself in what I mockingly termed "a freak standing accident." He was just standing there, then he shifted his weight, and then he both felt and heard a big POP in his hip joint, and then his hip was fucked up for, like, a long time.

Well.

Friday night I went to a party featuring lots of alcohol and 80s dance music, one of my favorite combinations. (It was billed as a Bastille Day party, but no one stormed anything and no revolution took place.) I was the first person to start dancing, and as is my wont, I danced with enthusiasm and much tossing of the head and shaking of the hips. (I did not do a solo interpretive dance to "Bohemian Rhapsody," but that was only because they didn't have the song.) But there was a point where I both felt and heard a big POP in my left hip, and then I felt some pain, but I kept dancing, soldiering on as any dedicated dancer would, even though I limped later in the evening.

The next day I had a killer hangover, which was bad enough, but as for my hip--how shall I say this--well, it REALLY FUCKING HURT. Walking was extremely painful, and I did it so ungracefully that I felt I should have a cane in one hand and a tube of Ben-Gay in the other. If I lay on my back or stood perfectly still, the pain lessened somewhat, but I wouldn't say either position was exactly comfortable.

I became convinced I tore a tendon or ligament or some such thing, which really surprises me, because I have danced for 42 years without injury. (And no, I didn't go to the doctor, because I know what doctors tell you to do with injuries like that: they tell you to stay off them. It's like when I broke a rib and went to the emergency room and the doctor said, "Oh, you broke a rib; try not to put any strain on it and it will heal in a month or two." Thanks, Doc!) I finally started icing the whole area and that seemed to help--I still limp today, but I don't look quite so much like an elderly woman with really great fashion sense and good hair. Also I can stand all the way up without wincing. But having injured my hip in a freak dancing accident, I will never again mock someone who injured his hip in a freak standing accident. I guess those little balls and sockets take a lot of pressure, and sometimes, they just give.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Broke your hip? Dancing? Was this dance at a senior's center?

1:14 PM  
Blogger bluestocking said...

I didn't break my hip, and I didn't say I broke it. I strained it. Or sprained it. Or tore a ligament. I've had a fracture before, and this ain't broken. I know it's strange. But as I say, I know a guy--a sprightly, athletic 20-something at the time--who incurred a similar injury simply by shifting his weight.

And if I thought I'd broken my hip, I would see a doctor, 'cause unlike a snapped rib, a broken hip must be set to heal properly.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

I loved your title. It made me think that had it been me dancing, I would have gone with Dance This Mess Around.

The only thing to do at a Bastille Day party would be to soldier on so you did the right thing there. But shouldn't you get checked out if only for a little advice and maybe some painkillers if needed?

Dancin' fool.

5:08 PM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

OH oh! Bursitis!!! I betcha that's what it is :( The fluid cushioning the joint gets inflammed and it hurts like hell! I'm very prone to it for some reason. That happened to me once dancing, and the next time it was while bowling, can u believe it? I couldn't!

Here you go dear Holly:
http://www.webmd.com/hw/muscle_problems/tn3727.asp

Feel better soon! xoxo Mel

3:14 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

PS I was only 23 the first time it happened to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

3:20 AM  
Blogger bluestocking said...

Oh Mellowlee, you have done me a HUGE favor. I followed the links and read all the information. I think you are right, and I also think I have had mild bursitis for years--I have been complaining for a decade about a strange pressure and discomfort in my hip, and no chiropractor, masseuse or acupuncturist has been able to alleviate it.

And you are right, Dale: Maybe I *should* see a doctor. I was thinking I might like documentation of this injury in case it happens again or I need physical therapy or something.

God, I know you say you were only 23 when this happened to you, Mellowlee--and that's how old my friend was too--but this makes me feel SO OLD.

BTW, Dale, I am a dancin' fool. But most of my favorite people are.

8:44 AM  
Blogger mellowlee said...

Holly I'm glad I could be of some help, but I'm sorry you are in pain! I'm feelin' it right now, ouch! *winces*

Icepaks (bag of frozen peas),and Xtra strength Advil work well for me. Please go easy on yourself *hugs*

Sometimes when i stand up I hear a loud POP from my hip that doesn't hurt, but maaan does it sound hideous! LOL I think it's just letting me know it's there and that I had better be careful OR ELSE!!!!

PS Maybe going to the Dr to get an Rx for anti inflams would be a good idea too.
Diclofenac worked wonders for me!!!!!

9:01 AM  
Blogger SlayGirl said...

I liked your story. Sorry that you were hurt. I was not there when Mel's injury happened but she's always been in really good shape so if something like that happened to her at 23 it could happen to anyone. Hope the pain goes away soon.

6:05 PM  
Blogger bluestocking said...

it has been two months and I still feel occasional pain, despite a full month of physical therapy, which helped A LOT. I'd see that doctor as your friends recommend.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I did the same thing dancing at a wedding. I couldn't walk the next day, almost a week later and it is still excruciating going up and down stairs (each foot per stair). Who knows what I did!!!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Myndi Love said...

THIS EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME LAST NIGHT! 80s music and everything! I'm googling info and this post comes up! I have to work today and I feel like I can barely walk and I don't know if I should go to the doctor or not. It hurts so bad! I feel like an idiot. I guess I'll give it a few days then go to the doctor if it's not better. Uhg!

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home