Monday, August 06, 2007

You Haven't Heard from Me in Two Years; Now Please Fix My Life

I just got the most annoying email from a former student. It reads:

Greetings, Dear Dr. Bluestocking,

I'm hoping you remember me. Also, I can hope that this is still your email address. So how are things? Getting ready for the new semester I'm sure. I miss all that shit. Well, sometimes anyway. I hope all is well.
I'm writing to ask for some advice. I am now 26, still unpublished, although I've never tried, currently unemployed as of four days ago, and I'm feeling as though I'm right on the verge of losing whatever potential I may have had. I think I'm asking if you've got any suggestions. Maybe a job, maybe a publisher, an agent. Maybe something else entirely. Until then I'll just play the lottery. Or something like that.

What am I supposed to do with that? I had suggestions when the kid was in my class, when it was my job to give him suggestions, and he chose not to take them. Now he has a crisis and he writes to me so I can find him "a job, a publisher, an agent"?

I don't think so.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

That's...kind of weird.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is strange that this person would think of you at this point in their lives.
The funniest part of it was "still unpublished, although I've never tried," and this is a person you are supposed to recommend to others?

1:20 AM  
Blogger Reese said...

Imagine how funny it would be if you wrote back and said, "You know what? Go fuck yourself."

ha ha ha

7:02 PM  
Blogger bluestocking said...

Frankly, Reese, I came very close to saying precisely that.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I commented on this before but am in the middle of making a huge decision in my life and seeing this post gave me a real kick in the ass!

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home